If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulty with speech, language, swallowing, hearing or balance, we recommend that you seek the services of a speech-language pathologist or audiologist. The earlier that a disorder is identified and treated, the better the chances are for improvement.

Provincial and territorial governments fund some speech-language pathology and audiology services through hospitals, community health centers, home care, child-care centres and schools. Availability of these services often depends on the age of the person requiring services.

Speech-language pathologists and audiologists also work in private practice. You can use SAC’s Find a Speech-Language Pathologist or Audiologist database to locate a communication health professional in your area.